Austin Patriot Guard Riders › Forums › Completed Missions › Airport Recovery, SSgt Casey Jay Roland, 28, Active Duty Marine, Austin, TX, 05 JUL 2019
- This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 11 months ago by Squibby.
February 5, 2009 at 12:34 pm #1555July 5, 2019 at 12:46 am #5346
Confirmed mission: The family of SSgt Casey Jay Roland has requested the participation of the Patriot Guard Riders in his return to Texas. SSgt Roland served 10 years in the Marine Corps. Additional information is pending.
This is the airport recovery portion of this mission. The funeral portion will be Wednesday, 10 July 2019, in Round Rock with burial at CTSVC in Killeen. See the separate mission thread.
Date/Time: Friday, 05 July 2019. Flight arrival at Austin Bergstrom Intl Airport (ABIA) expected at 5:15 pm.
Staging Location: Airline Freight facility, 3400 Spirit of Texas Drive, ABIA
Directions: From TX 71, take the ABIA CARGO exit and turn south onto Spirit of Texas Dr. Stay on that road all the way to the end. The facility parking lot will be the last one on the right before the gate.
Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/8rGcUjUb5H32
4:00 – 4:30 pm Staging
4:30 pm Briefing
Recovery ceremony per ABIA operations.
Wx: Hi 94 deg, mostly sunny
Notes: Bring a bottle of water for yourself and one for a friend. Arrive at the staging fully fueled and fed.
1) SSgt Roland is being flown to Austin via a commercial flight so be prepared for possible itinerary revisions.
2) There is a lot of construction activity at the airport. It is unknown if the PGR will go plane-side, but if so no four wheelers are allowed beyond the gate.
3) There are no public restrooms at the staging area. Plan accordingly.
4) We will join an LEO escorted procession to Beck Funeral Home on RR620 in Austin, an approx 30 minute ride with no intermediate stops. Route is determined by LEO and might include toll roads. All toll charges are the responsibility of the individual rider.
5) Fly your big flags! Bike-mounted flags must be able to withstand highway speeds.
6) Do not attempt to join the procession in route. It is unsafe and detracts from our mission.
7) If you do not plan to ride in the procession from beginning to end, do not participate in this mission.
Ride Captain: Keith Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org, (512) 422-6310
Flag Wrangler: N/A
Please watch the website and email for possible updates to this mission and attend to show our gratitude for this Marine's service and support his family.July 8, 2019 at 8:35 pm #5350SquibbyModerator
18 Patriot Guard Members answered the call to Honor SSgt Casey Jay Roland. Those that attended can testify that shade was at a premium during the staging.
APD provided 12 officers to make the trip to the funeral home. They keep the speed at a manageable speed. those of us that were flying big flags appreciate that.
At the funeral home 4 Patriot Guard members help removing SSgt Casey Jay Roland from the hearse while the remainder (including 2 APD officers) formed a like and rendered a salute.
Little was known about the death of this Brave Marine but it did not matter. What mattered to us was that was Honored for standing the front line for your freedom.
God Bless the family, those that attended and those that could not make it.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.